This furry brown berry is cultivated on a vine and conceals an emerald flesh within its skin. Kiwifruit are considered the most nutritionally dense of all commonly consumed fruits. Filled with beneficial compounds, eating kiwi is a delicious way to treat yourself to a sweet snack that has zero fat!
Here are the top health benefits of kiwi:
- Repair Damaged DNA: A recent study explained that after DNA was intentionally damaged using peroxide, the cells of those who had eaten kiwi exhibited DNA that had a greater ability to repair itself. This research has determined that the phytonutrients in this fruit is able, not only to restore damaged DNA, but also to prevent prospective formation of cancerous cells.
- Fight Heart Disease: Eating 2–3 kiwis each day can help to reduce blood clotting by 18%, and triglycerides, fatty deposits within the blood, by 15%. Kiwi is a much healthier alternative to aspirin if used to reduce blood clotting, without all of the side effects.
- Immunity Boost: With a high concentration of antioxidants and Vitamin C, eating kiwi improves the strength of your immune system. Vitamin C also combats stress & aging, promotes wound healing, iron absorption, & growing healthier bones. This fruit has even been proven to decrease wheezing and shortness of breath in asthma patients by about 35%.
- Magnesium & Potassium Benefits: High levels of these essential compounds make kiwi a great way to improve muscle function and energy levels. Did you know that kiwi harbor 20% more potassium than a banana? This vital mineral maintains blood pressure, and decreases the risk of kidney stones, osteoporosis, and stroke.
- Increase Brain Function: Kiwifruit contain folic acid, which is essential to preventcardiovascular disease, improve brain & cognitive development, and prevent brain defects in babies both before and after birth. Also containing serotonin, a hormone with digestive and cardiovascular function, this berry improves learning, memory, mood, and normalizes appetite. Serotonin is also helpful in maintaining a restful sleep, yet, encourages focus in the morning.
- Balance Alkalinity: This fruit is one of the most alkaline of them all! Containing a supple amount of minerals, kiwi aids in replacing the excess amount of acid that is produced by some unhealthy foods. An alkalized body promotes youthful skin, deeper sleep, higher physical energy, and lower risk of arthritis & osteoporosis.
- Healthy Eyes: Kiwi is rich in lutein and zeaxanthin, which are compounds found naturally within the eye. When ingesting fruits such as kiwi 3 or more times a day, research has proven that these compounds help to reduce macular degeneration by 36%!
- Improve Digestive Health: When kiwis are consumed raw; an enzyme called actinidain helps to digest protein. The fuzzy fibers of this fruit bind and remove toxins to cleanse your intestinal tract.
- Beneficial to Skin: Vitamin E is also affluent within the kiwifruit, and is an essential antioxidant which protects the skin from degradation, lowers cholesterol, and defends against cancer-causing damage to cells.
- Low Glycemic Index: One large kiwi contains about 56 calories, 13 grams of carbohydrates, and a hearty supply of vitamins and minerals. They also have a relatively low glycemic load, so eating kiwi will not raise blood sugar levels very quickly, which is imperative for diabetics.