The age old “An Apple a Day Keeps the Doctor Away” has truth to it, and not just because your mother said so! There is some very valid research that has been done on apple, and HFR is going to break it down- the health benefits of apples suggest you should eat them every day!
- They are packed with Vitamin C: Without adequate Vitamin C in your diet, you may suffer from poor healing, bruise easily, and have bleeding gums. Vitamin C is a big boost to your immune system and keeps it in fighting health!
- They are Low in calories: A regular size apple has between 70-100 calories. Eating an apple when craving for candy or chocolate can make the psychological and physical desire disappear since apple in itself contains sugar (but less than chocolate!), but gives you only a quarter of the calories.
- They Help Prevent Heart Diseases: The reason it can prevent both coronary heart disease and cardiovascular disease is because apples are rich in flavonoid. Flavonoids are also known for their antioxidant effects and their positive on heart health in particular.
- They Help Prevent Various Cancers: Apples are proven target multiple cancers such as colon cancer, prostate cancer and breast cancer in women.
- They Reduce Bad Cholesterol and Increase Good Cholesterol: Apples contain phenols, which have a double effect on cholesterol. It reduces bad cholesterol and increases good cholesterol. They prevent LDL cholesterol from turning into oxidized LDL, a very dangerous form of bad cholesterol which can be deadly.
- They Prevent Tooth Decay: The juice of the apples has properties that can kill up to 80% of bacteria in your mouth, which is the main source of tooth decay. So by eating an apple a day, you’re also keeps the dentist away!
- The Promote Healthier Lungs: A research at the University of Nottingham Research shows that people who eat 5 apples or more per week has lower respiratory problems, including asthma.
- They Protect Your Brain: Apples contain chemicals called phytonutrients, and these phytonutrients prevents neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s
So go ahead, eat an apple a day!