If you’ve set out to improve your home/office workstation with a modern laptop, you’ve probably discovered the need to look for one of the best USB-C hubs or docks to make up for any missing ports and expand your display setup.
We’re here to help you do just that. Better yet, we’ll also tell you where you can buy them for the best price by comparing deals at multiple reputable retailers. USB-C hubs are geared towards the creative professional rather than your casual user and they can be vital today given many modern laptops are forgoing traditional ports in favour of USB-C or Thunderbolt connections. Apple MacBooks especially.
If you’re simply after a few missing ports though to restore old school USB, HMDI out or memory card slots, you might be better suited checking out our selection of the best USB-C adapters as they’re generally much cheaper than USB-C hubs.
USB-C hubs (also known as USB-C docks in some parts) are generally geared towards increased performance, faster data transfer speeds and multiple external displays – along with higher Hz support or frames-per-second than USB-C adapters can provide. You’ll find various manufacturers throwing words like ‘adapter’, ‘hub’ and ‘dock’ around with reckless abandon, often making it difficult to search for something for your exact needs. So on the models below we’ve included a list of all the ports included along with technical specifications on read speeds and displays supported so you can be sure you’re getting what you want. Be sure to check the item itself on the retailer page to make sure the spec hasn’t changed.
1.HooToo USB-C Hub HT-UC001
HooToo’s USB-C Hub HT-UC001 offers similar performance to the Vava for about two-thirds the price, but it lacks a microSD card reader and an Ethernet port. We think the Vava’s more versatile port selection and slightly smaller size are worth paying for, but the HooToo is a good option if you need something less expensive.
What’s to Like About the HooToo USB-C Hub HT-UC001
- Instant Expansion: USB-C Hub with 100W PD charging port, 4K Ultra HD HDMI Port, 3 x USB 3.0 Ports, 5Gpbs SD Card slot
- 100W PD Power Delivery: Charging your MacBook or other type-C port devices while connecting multiple peripherals and transferring data
- 4K Ultra HD Vedio: Mirror or extend your screen with USB C Hub HDMI port and directly stream 4K UHD or Full HD 1080p video to HDTV, monitor or projector
- USB 3.0 Ports: Allow you to connect keyboard, mouse, thumb drive to MacBook or other Type-C devices, and access files from SD card readerUSB 3.0 Ports: Allow you to connect keyboard, mouse and USB-A peripheral to MacBook or other Type-C devices, and access files from SD card reader
- Mac-Style Design: 2.5D unibody aluminum alloy exterior, ionized finish, reinforced TPE cable coating, and Mac-style LED activity indicator. EMI protection to prevent interfere with wireless devices
2.Aukey USB C to 4-Port USB 3.1 Gen 1 Hub (CB-C64)
If you just need more USB 3.0 ports for flash drives, keyboards, mice, and other low-power accessories, Aukey’s USB C to 4-Port USB 3.1 Gen 1 Hub (CB-C64) is the best option we tested, and the least expensive. It’s a straightforward plastic adapter with four full-speed USB 3.0 ports. But its lack of passthrough power makes it a poor choice if your computer has only one or two USB-C ports, as the MacBook does.
What’s to Like About the Aukey USB C to 4-Port USB 3.1 Gen 1 Hub (CB-C64)
- 4-in-1 Hub: Easily adds 4 more USB devices to your USB-C laptop with 4 USB 3.0 ports
- USB-C Compatible: Works with USB-C port laptops and smart devices
- High-Speed Data Transfer: USB 3.0 port provides 5 Gbps transfer speeds, 10X faster than USB 2.0
- Lightweight and Portable: Ultra-compact and light hub, tucks easily into the pocket of your laptop bag and also fits in your pocket
- Plug and Play: Does not require any software, drivers, or complicated installation process
3.Dell D6000 Universal Dock
Docks are larger and usually equipped with more ports than hubs, and they can provide power on their own, making them a better fit if you’re looking for something to set on your desk permanently. Among the five USB-C docks we tested, Dell’s D6000 Universal Dock is the best, with four USB-A ports, a USB-C port, HDMI and two DisplayPort video ports, Gigabit Ethernet, and a 3.5 mm audio connector. It worked equally well with a PC and a Mac in our testing. It also delivers 65 watts—the most charging power of any dock we measured—and it’s the least expensive dock option (though it’s still more than twice as expensive as the Vava hub).
What’s to Like About the Dell D6000 Universal Dock
- Enjoy Ultra HD 5K on a single screen or up to three 4K displays via USB-C
- Supports up to three 4K displays or a single 5K Display
- Four USB 3.0 Ports. One USB-C port. System Requirement (Recommended): PC’s equipped with USB3.0 or USB-C port,DisplayLink Driver installation
- Os required-Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10 32/64bit or later. Charges up to 65W laptop via USB-C
- Troubleshoot-incompatible display driver this message will appear if the primary graphics card drivers installed are not wddm compatible. Windows 7 onwards is not designed to operate without wddm drivers. Download and install the latest graphics drivers for your primary graphics card
4.Vava VA-UC006 USB-C Hub
With three USB-A ports plus HDMI (with 4K support), Ethernet, SD, microSD, and power passthrough, the Vava VA-UC006 offers the connectors most people need most of the time. It’s powerful enough to leave at your desk full-time as a docking station but small enough to slip in your laptop bag and use on the go. The only downside is that the Ethernet port hinges open, a design that saves space but is more likely to break than a standard Ethernet port.
What’s to Like About the Vava VA-UC006 USB-C Hub
- Comprehensive Computer Add-On: The 8-in-1 USB-C hub features an Ethernet port, a charging port, a HDMI port, an SD card reader, a TF card reader, and 3 USB 3.0 ports
- A New Video Experience: With the 4K video adapter you can mirror or extend your screen, and stream in 4K UHD or full HD 1080p video to HDTV, a monitor, or projector
- Never Loose Your Internet Connection: With the included Ethernet port a stable, reliable web access of up to 1 Gbps is granted
- Fast PD Recharging: Fuel your MacBook Pro or other Type-C port devices with a power delivery while connecting multiple peripherals for a worry-free data transfer
- Connect 3 Devices: Thanks to the triple USB 3.0 ports you can connect a keyboard, mouse, thumb drive to a MacBook Pro, or a Windows Type-C laptop
5.Cable Matters USB Type-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
If you need only an Ethernet connection, we like the Cable Matters USB Type-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter. It delivers full Gigabit speed, it comes from a reputable company, and it’s inexpensive. It did get warm when we used it, which is to be expected with USB-C Ethernet adapters, but it reached the same temperature as a more expensive model we tested.
What’s to Like About the Cable Matters USB Type-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
- UGREEN USB 2.0 to RJ45 Network adapter connects your computer or tablet to a router, modem or network switch for network connection.
- USB 2.0 Ethernet adapter is a good solution for adding a standard RJ45 port to your Ultrabook, notebook, or MacBook Air for file transferring, video conferencing, gaming, and HD video streaming.
- Full 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet performance over USB 2.0’S 480 Mbps bus, faster and more reliable than most wireless connections. Link and activity LEDs. USB powered, no external power required.
- USB to Ethernet supports wake-on-land (WOL), full-duplex (FDX) and half-duplex (HDX) Ethernet, Crossover detection, backpressure routing, auto-correction (auto MDIX). support IPv4/IPv6 protocols and 10baset-t and 100baset-tx networks.
- Nintendo switch, Wii and Wii U supported, widely compatible with Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP, Mac OSX 10.6/10.7/10.8/10.9/10.10/10.11/10.12, Linux Kernel 3.X/2.6, and chrome OS. Does not support Windows RT, Android.