The best home elliptical, which is also known as an X Trainer, is a fairly new addition to the fitness world when compared to the likes of treadmills, rowing machines and exercise bikes. However, the quality of results that many users have found they can achieve using these machines has led to them increasing in popularity and they can now be found in practically any gym.
Furthermore, many people look to purchase a home variant for their own gyms, so they can conduct workouts in the comfort of their own home.
- 1 Top 7 Best Home Elliptical Reviews
- 2 Click here for current price and more details
- 3 Click here for current price and more details
- 4 Click here for current price and more details
- 5 Click here for current price and more details
- 5.1 This is an excellent choice for people who are looking for a high quality machine that is built using well-designed parts. This makes it one of the best home elliptical machines around and it currently carries a 4.2 out of 5 rating from around a hundred reviews. Just be wary if you have a small stride length, as the 18 inch stride offered here can’t be adjusted.
- 5.2 5. ProForm Hybrid Trainer
- 6 Click here for current price and more details
- 7 Click here for current price and more details
- 8 Click here for current price and more details
- 8.1 Choosing from the Best Home Elliptical Reviews
- 8.2 How to Work Out on an Elliptical Machine
Elliptical machines first became regularly available in the 1990s, when Precor introduced their first trainer in 1995. The machines were reputed to help with weight loss, while also firming and toning both the upper and lower body. As such, they offer a low impact workout that is extremely effective, while also being much safer than high impact exercises like jogging.
Having already taken into account the fact that these machines reduce the risk of injury due to their low impact nature, it is a good idea to see what other benefits they can offer. The best home elliptical machines will allow you to burn calories through a whole body workout. Better yet, they will also increase your anaerobic capacity, which means you will have superior cardiovascular conditioning that can help with other workouts.
Elliptical vs Treadmill
A lot of people like to stack the elliptical machine up against the treadmill, not least because they look fairly similar in terms of design. However, they really offer two completely different workouts. Ellipticals are ideal for people who want to avoid the impacts that jogging requires, whereas using a treadmill requires you to work your body more in terms of controlling your own motion. Both have their advantages, which is why many people choose to incorporate the duo into their workouts.
Making Your Choice
When choosing between the best home elliptical machines, it is important to find one that is durable in addition to offering all of the features you need to conduct your workout.
Top 7 Best Home Elliptical Reviews
1. Sole Fitness E35 Elliptical Machine
The elliptical machine offered by Sole Fitness is characterized by an extremely smooth motion and quiet operation, which makes it an excellent choice for people who want to enjoy their workout while watching television or listening to music.
This also makes it an excellent choice for people for whom noise is an issue, such as those living in apartments or in homes with thin walls. Better yet, the machine also comes with an array of features, such as a handy LCD display and an in-built speaker system so that you can plug an MP3 player in to play while you workout.
- The LCD display allows you to keep track of your workout data.
- Adjustable pedals allow you to pick the stride length that is right for you.
- Includes a 5 year warranty on parts and 2 years on labor.
- Features an in-built sound system and a handy water bottle holder.
- Has 6 standard programs in addition to 2 that can be customized by the user.
What’s To Like about the Sole Fitness E35 Elliptical Machine
The machine has been praised for offering the perfect middle ground between cheaper home ellipticals and the sort that you would see in the gym. Most users found it to be extremely quiet, especially when they make use of the lubrication that comes with the device, in addition to offering an excellent workout.
What’s Not To Like
Some users have questioned the build quality of the machine, claiming that it can take a long time to put it together and that a number of parts may be liable to breakdown during use. A minority have also taken issue with the level of motion resistance offered, claiming that it is not capable of offering more intense workouts.
With a 4.5 out of 5 rating from well over a hundred reviews, the consensus is that this is one of the best home elliptical machines on the market for those who want something that is perfect for the home and can offer a good workout as well. While some people have had issues with various parts, this should all be covered by the fairly extensive warranty.
2. Body Solid E1 Elliptical Trainer
Body Solid claim that their patented technology is able to ensure that the elliptical motion offered by their machine is completely biomechanically correct, ensuring that you get a great workout in addition to protecting your body from injury.
It also features a fairly compact design when compared to other home elliptical machines, making it a consideration for anybody who has a fairly limited workout space. Couple that with the smooth motion and decent range of settings and you have a very good product.
- The center drive design ensures the motion of the trainer is kept smooth.
- Very compact, which makes it surprisingly portable in addition to being great for small spaces.
- The moving arms allow for a total body workout.
- Has a 275lb weight limit, making it perfect for most body types.
- Comes with a 15 year warranty on the frame, in addition to a 10 year warranty on the motor.
What’s To Like about the Body Solid E1 Elliptical Trainer
The small amount of time required to put the machine together has been praised by many users, as has its compact nature and the fact that it is much sturdier than might be expected. The varying resistance levels were also commented upon, with many people being happy about how it allowed them to change up their workouts when needed.
What’s Not To Like
While the elliptical is covered by a very extensive warranty, some of the small amount of users who have experienced issues have reported that it can be difficult to get what you need from the customer service team. A minority have also experienced delivery issues.
This is an excellent choice for those who want a reliable machine that can fit handily into most workout spaces. It currently has a 4.2 out of 5 rating from less than a hundred reviews, with most people being very happy with the purchase. Just be aware that the customer service team may not be of the quality you would expect given the warranty offered.
3. Schwinn 430 Elliptical Machine
Schwinn has gained a reputation for being one of the best home gym companies in the world thanks to the quality of its machines, and the 430 elliptical is no different. Featuring many levels of resistance and a whole host of exercise programs, it is ideal for people who are looking to vary their workouts on a regular basis.
The machine also features USB connectivity, so you can set goals and then track them, saving your results onto a memory stick for later use. The detailed LCD display is just the icing on the cake here.
- Dual LCD screens allow you to track up to 13 different workout metrics.
- A USB port allows for device charging and data exchange.
- Comes with 22 programs, plus a further 2 that can be customized.
- Has 20 resistance settings, making it great for light and intense workouts.
- Compatible with MyFitnessPal
What’s To Like about the Schwinn 430 Elliptical Machine
The ease in which the machine can be assembled has been applauded, with many people expressing surprise that an elliptical with so many features would be so easy to get running. Others were extremely happy about the range of choice offered by the machine in terms of workouts and resistance levels.
What’s Not To Like
A small number of users have reported that the machine might start making a clicking noise after extended use, particularly if you use it on a daily basis. Some people have also expressed disappointment at the quality of customer service offered by Schwinn.
With a 4.0 out of 5 rating from several hundred reviews, the machine has been slightly polarizing. While most believe that it is a high quality package with an excellent range of features for the price, some have experienced issues with their delivery in addition to the operation of the machine over the long term if used intensely.
4. Nautilus E514c Elliptical Trainer
Nautilus’ offering features a sturdy flywheel that should ensure long-term operation, regardless of how intense your workouts. It also has an 18 inch stride in addition to a number of workout programs, so you will never be short of variety in terms of what you do on it.
Couple that with magnetic resistance that can be adjusted as needed and a beautiful design that puts a lot of other elliptical trainers to shame and you have a front runner when choosing the best home elliptical machine.
- A large LCD screen displays all of the important info in addition to coming with an in-built speaker.
- Features 16 levels of magnetic resistance.
- Offers 22 different workout programs, with 2 more that can be programmed by the user.
- Has an 18 inch, non-adjustable stride.
- Provides an excellent cardiovascular workout.
What’s To Like about the Nautilus E514c Elliptical Trainer
Many of the users were extremely happy with how easy the machine is to put together, with a number also commenting on the quality of the parts that have been used in its construction. This also means that the machine was deemed excellent when it comes to actual operation, with most experiencing little to no problems when using it.
What’s Not To Like
Some people are a little wary of the 18 inch stride as this means that the trainer may not be suitable for smaller frames. Furthermore, the few people that have experienced issues with the machine have commented that the customer service offered could do with being improved.
This is an excellent choice for people who are looking for a high quality machine that is built using well-designed parts. This makes it one of the best home elliptical machines around and it currently carries a 4.2 out of 5 rating from around a hundred reviews. Just be wary if you have a small stride length, as the 18 inch stride offered here can’t be adjusted.
5. ProForm Hybrid Trainer
ProForm’s Hybrid Trainer is a little different to the rest of the machines on this list as it also comes with a seat that can be used by those who want to focus on a lower body workout. It also comes with the standard elliptical design that you would expect from such a machine, making it an excellent choice for those who want a little more variety.
It also comes with a number of in-built apps that feature a range of programs, regardless of whether you use it as an elliptical or bike. It will also save space for people who want multiple machines in their home gym, thanks to the all-in-one design.
- Features a seat so it can be used as an elliptical machine or exercise bike.
- Has a 350lb weight capacity, making it ideal for most users.
- Features 14 workout apps that are pre-installed, in addition to 14 resistance levels.
- Has a 15 inch stride, making it perfect for people of all frames.
- Comes with a 90-day warranty on both parts and labor.
What’s To Like about the ProForm Hybrid Trainer
As may be expected, a lot of users are extremely happy with the dual functionality of the machine, as it offers them the opportunity to really mix up their home workout routines. The speed of delivery was also praised and a number of people expressed satisfaction at just how much the machine offers for a fairly low price tag.
What’s Not To Like
Some people have experienced issues with the machine breaking down fairly quickly, which led to a number of poor experiences with customer service. A particular issue is being left on hold when calling, only to be hung up on. A few also have an issue with the resistance it offers, stating it is a little low for a proper workout.
While the machine offers a two-in-one system that is excellent for those looking to save space in their home gym, you should be aware that you may have to deal with awkward customer service if you do have issues. However, in most cases it should work well and it currently carries a 3.9 out of 5 rating from several hundred reviews.
6. Schwinn 470 Elliptical Machine
As may be expected given their reputation, Schwinn has another machine on the list. The 470 is essentially an upgraded version of the 430, offering a larger number of workout programs in addition to more resistance levels. As such, it is a perfect choice for people who find that the 430 doesn’t quite cover their needs.
Of course, you still get all of the features that you would expect, including the USB connectivity and MyFitnessPal compatibility. Couple that with the excellent design and build quality that the company is known for and you have a great choice.
- A dual LCD screen allows you to keep detailed track of your workouts.
- Comes with 29 different programs, with 4 that can be set by the user.
- Features 25 resistance levels for all types of workout.
- Has an in-built speaker for playing music.
- Comes with a 10 year warranty on the frame and can hold a maximum weight of 300lbs.
What’s To Like about the Schwinn 470 Elliptical Machine
The machine has been praised for how easy it is to use, with many people being delighted at the low levels of impact that experience while still getting a quality workout. It’s also fairly simple to out together for a single person and should be able to withstand some pretty solid workouts.
What’s Not To Like
Much like with the 430, a few customers have taken issue with the level of customer service offered by Schwinn, with a number having to wait long amounts of time to receive replacement parts when needed. A few users have also experienced a creaking sound when using their machine.
While it currently carries a 3.9 out of 5 rating from over a hundred reviews, the Schwinn 470 still makes a case for being one of the best home elliptical machines because of the range of features and resistance levels. While most people have not had any issues with the machine, be aware that it can be difficult to get what you need from customer services in some cases.
7. Sunny Magnetic Elliptical Trainer
This elliptical trainer from Sunny is aimed towards people who are working with a fairly stringent budget, or those who want to give these types of machines a try without committing to the purchase of a more expensive home machine.
As such, it lacks a number of the features that many of the ellipticals on this list boast, but it makes up for that with pure functionality. This is a no-nonsense machine that is ideal for beginners or people who just want something that gives them a good workout and allows them to maintain and lose weight.
- The machine has a maximum capacity of 220lbs
- Comes with a workout computer that measures a variety of useful metrics.
- Footholds are made using an anti-slip material for stability.
- Has a micro-tension control system that allows you to adjust resistance.
- Features a static hand pulse monitor for controlling heart rate.
What’s To Like about the Sunny Magnetic Elliptical Trainer
A lot of reviewers have expressed satisfaction with the quality of the machine given its fairly low price point, with many being happy about the workout they could get despite it not offering many of the features that more expensive brands do.
What’s Not To Like
Some reviewers believe that the stride length offered by the machine is not adequate to complete the workout in the way that they would like, though this may be a matter of personal taste. A few others have made mention of the instructions that come with the machine, stating that they are a little difficult to follow.
Those shopping on a budget should definitely consider this elliptical trainer, as it allows them to get a good introduction into the world of home workout machines without having to spend a lot of money to get there. While some may feel like they could do with an upgrade after a while, as indicated by its 3.7 out of 5 score, it is perfect for those who simply enjoy a nice workout at home.
Choosing from the Best Home Elliptical Reviews
Sole Fitness currently offer the best home elliptical machine based on functionality alone, as their E35 is built to last while still offering plenty of workout routines and customization options. Those who like their home gym equipment to come with a variety of features would be best advised to take a look at the Schwinn machines, though they may run into issues with customer service if the machine has problems. Finally, if you are just looking for a machine that is good for a novice, the Sunny Magnetic Elliptical Trainer has everything that you need at a very reasonable price.
How to Work Out on an Elliptical Machine
For those of you who enjoy working out but hate running, there is a great option that you can take advantage of both at home or at the gym.
The elliptical machine can help you burn a lot of calories, work out multiple muscle groups and get good cardio training.
If you always wanted to build a routine around an elliptical machine but you were told that it is hard, tiring or any other phrase that made you give up, you should know that it is one of the friendliest machines out there.
What are the advantages of an elliptical machine?
Unlike running, you can get a cardio workout that has low impact on your joints, as well as on your back. You can burn at least 270 calories in 30 minutes while using the elliptical machine and maximum 400 calories.
This machine can be used by anyone who wants to lose weight, strengthen their legs, glutes and arms, shape their muscles and tone them.
The abdominal muscles are triggered, too, during an elliptical workout.
One of the great advantages of modern elliptical machines is that its settings allow the trainee to take as much recovery time as they need without having to stop their training.
Elliptical machines have resistance settings, incline settings, speed and distance settings and can be used to monitor the daily activity, set a personalized workout and monitor one’s health condition.
How to work out on an elliptical machine
One of the main reasons why individuals give up training on the elliptical is that they don’t see immediate results.
But the truth is that not everyone trains correctly on this machine. In order to get the best out of it, you must know how to use it correctly.
Here are the most important things you should know before getting on an elliptical machine:
- You will only get the desired results once you start eating healthy and hydrating yourself
- Warm-up for a few minutes at your own pace. Then, increase the resistance
- You must stand up straight instead of slouching if you want to give your back and core a chance of helping you out
- Enter your information if the machine asks for it: your age, weight, height etc. They are required for a reason: to get you the best personalized workout.
- Change directions from time to time – sometimes it can be boring and tiring to do the same motions over and over again for 30 minutes or more. Changing the direction will make you feel better and will turn your workout into a more efficient one.
- Change your workout – although you feel like your regular workout shows the best results, do not hesitate to change it now and then. Your body will react differently and you will feel that other muscles are working, too.
- Don’t put too much pressure on your toes – when you start feeling your toes numb, it means that it is time to stop pressuring them. Before getting to that point, it is good to sit on your heels more. You will also notice some changes in your stamina.
- Don’t use the elliptical machine exclusively – sometimes it is good to warm up on a different machine or even with no machine at all. Your body and mind need diversity.