Dog training is probably the most annoying job for a pet owner. The worst part is the urine that you can not seem to get rid of. The most pet-friendly products are designed to not only remove stains but also keep your home delicious and clean, even when you are digging for new puppies. I often feel uncomfortable when I smell this smell.
Unlike conventional cleaning products, special odor removal solutions are designed to remove unpleasant odors such as animal urine. For these products to work, they have to struggle with the specific bacteria found in animal urine – the cause of the odor.
However, you need to be careful when making any household hygiene products for a home with pets. Due to the chemicals contained in, you must first confirm and ensure that they will be safe for your dog.
- 0.1 Using Pet Odor Eliminator and Chemical Products
- 0.2 How to Use a Dog Urine Odor/Stain Eliminator?
- 1 Best Pet Odor Eliminator Comparison
- 1.1 1 Sunny & Honey Pet Stain and Odor Miracle
- 1.2 2 BISSELL 2X Pet Stain & Odor Full Size Machine Formula
- 1.3 3 Angry Orange Pet Odor Eliminator
- 1.4 4 Powered Pet Odor & Stain Remover for Dog and Cat Urine – (1 gallon) Review
- 1.5 5 Nature’s Miracle Urine Destroyer Stain and Residue Eliminator Review
- 1.6 How to Housetrain a Dog?
- 2 Pet Odor Eliminator Buyer’s Guide
- 3 Conclusion
Using Pet Odor Eliminator and Chemical Products
Every urine odor eliminator is made up of chemicals that can destroy the uric acid component of your pet’s urine. Uric acid can make the urine odor last for as long as six years if it is not cleaned. Ammonia, chlorine, baking soda, soap, or even hydrogen peroxide can never remove the odor caused by uric acid.
There are many brands of liquid odor eliminators in the market today. To get good information about these most popular choices would prove useful before you can decide on which odor eliminator to buy.
For most pet owners, it takes trial and error before they find something that works. In this case, we’ve already done the leg work and picked out five (out of dozens of others) that are pet-safe and will remove urine stains and eliminator the odor effectively.
That said, there are a few other benefits to using the best pet odor eliminator rather than a cheap solution. We’ll take the first rated option – Rocco & Roxie – as an example to explain what else a pet owner can expect from a good quality odor eliminator dogs.
Works on any surface. This means you can spray the eliminator on carpets, hardwood floors, linoleum, furniture, ceramic flooring or any other surface.
Stops dogs from peeing. This is great for pet owners who are still housetraining their puppies. The dog is unlikely to pee in the spot that has been treated.
It does not discolor. You can safely use the product on majority of fabrics without risking discoloration. Harsh chemicals is what causes these issues, and those would be dangerous to dogs as well (thereby marking a product not pet-friendly).
Works on fresh and old stains. The best pet odor eliminator product will work on urine stains and poop stains of any age, dried or fresh.
How to Use a Dog Urine Odor/Stain Eliminator?
Every product will have the instructions on the bottle label, so make sure to follow those. However, the process is almost identical for all of them. Here are the six simple steps for the most effective way to get rid of dog urine stains and smell:
Step 1: Remove concentrated pet urine first with a paper towel or a highly absorbent cotton towel.
Step 2: Pour 4-6 oz of warm water on the stain. Extract or absorb this water from the carpeting (repeat 3 times). This dilutes the urine and helps the “good” bacteria in the best pet odor eliminator product to quickly eat away at the “bad” bacteria.
Step 3: Now, apply the pet urine stain eliminator product to the area. You should use enough to wet the whole area.
Step 4: Allow it to sit for at least 10 minutes, and possibly longer.
Step 5: After, using towel(s) absorb as much of the bacteria product as possible and allow to air dry.
Step 6: Once the area is dry, vacuum and inspect it. It should all be gone, both the stain and the smell. If not, then go through the steps 2-5 again.
Personal helpful tip: at step 5, I simply cover the entire stain area with a dry towel and place some weight on it. It ensures maximum contact and all the liquid goes up into the towel without me having to hold it. Try it.
How to know that the dog urine stain is definitely gone? Because it’s the bacteria for dog’s urine that causes the bad smell, obviously you won’t be able to see it. Thus, after you’ve treated the area, get a UV blacklight (pet urine detector) and light the area. A well-treated area with the best pet odor eliminator should pass the UV detector test.
The below list provides five most popular options for the best pet odor eliminator that will do the job well in removing urine stains as well as urine smell from your carpet, sofas and other furniture and surfaces. Make sure to read other pet owners’ reviews to find the best fit specifically for your Fido and your household, since not all of them are identical.
Best Pet Odor Eliminator Comparison
This product claims to eliminate both new and old stains and odors with its natural enzyme formula. It is said to work on stains like urine, feces, and vomit. This odor eliminator from Sunny & Honey prevents pets from returning to the same spot more than once. It can also work on pet bedding, litter boxes, crates, cages, and in cars.
This best pet odor eliminator is made in the USA & 10% of the profits from this product are donated to animal rescues and shelters. This product is said to be great on stains and odors, according to customers who had tried multiple other products prior to purchasing this.
The clean scent is chemical-free, and Sunny & Honey Pet Stain and Odor Miracle is safe for use around children and other animals. The odor of this product is not as strong as many of the other options available. Unlike some products that seem to make the smell of pet stains worse, many customers attest to the fact that this actually helps to neutralize the odor.
Of course, some people do not like the scent of this spray, describing it as cheap perfume that only masks the odor. Others claim that this product does not work to make stains disappear, and that it is a complete waste of time. However, these people are few and far between, so it is definitely worth a try if you have set in stains and are looking for a promising solution!
What’s to Like about Sunny & Honey Pet Stain and Odor Miracle
- Claims to eliminate both new and old stains and odors
- Natural enzyme formula removes stains from urine, vomit and feces
- Prevents your pet from returning to mark the same spot twice
- Made in the USA and 10% of proceeds benefit animal shelters and rescue organizations
What’s Not to Like
- Some buyers did not enjoy the scent of this spray
- A select few customers claim the product does not work at all
Pet odor eliminator reviews from pet owners: “Completely eliminates odors and smells delicious! We recently purchased this product to help clean up “accidents” during the potty training of our new puppy. We have now used Sunny & Honey on our area rugs, slate, tile…”
This product is made to be used in full size deep cleaning machines (Bissell, Hoover, Dirt Devil, Rug Doctor, etc. . .), whether rented or purchased. It is extra concentrated to provide the ultimate cleaning experience while removing soils and stains. This formula from Bissell contains biodegradable detergents and is free of phosphates, dyes, optical brighteners, or heavy metals.
The Scotchgard formula helps to protect carpet from future stains. The odor control helps to prevent your pet from going back and soiling the same area more than once.
If you have access to a full size deep cleaning machine, Bissell 2X Pet Stain & Odor Full Size Machine Formula is definitely worth a try, according to many satisfied customers. This best pet odor eliminator smells good and works best on fresh stains (as most cleaners do). Reviewers say that this is the best cleaner for upright machines without a doubt, and can be used on flooring or furniture.
You may have to use this on the same stain a couple of times before it comes up completely. Some unhappy customers say not to expect miracles from the product, claiming it did nothing in the way of helping lift their carpet stains. Other unsatisfied reviewers mentioned the odor of this solution was too strong or unpleasant.
What’s to Like about BISSELL 2X Pet Stain & Odor Full Size Machine Formula
- Made to be used in full size deep cleaning machines
- 2X concentrated
- Contains biodegradable detergents and is free of phosphates, dyes, optical brighteners, or heavy metals
What’s Not to Like
- May have to use this best pet odor eliminator on the same stain multiple times to get results
- Some consumers say the odor of this cleaner is unpleasant and too strong
Pet odor eliminator reviews from pet owners: “My 16 year old dog has accidents around the house fairly often even with a diaper on. He’s so old that he doesn’t realize he’s peeing sometimes. No other product as worked as well on my carpets so this…”
This commercial grade odor eliminator by Angry Orange was originally designed to be used in industrial applications, so it is guaranteed to get rid of the toughest pet odors in your home without any issue. This best pet odor eliminator is safe and non-toxic, as it is derived from the oil found in orange peels. It can be used indoors or out, anywhere pet waste odor is a problem.
Customers tend to use this product around cat litter boxes, kennels, pet waste removal containers, bushes and more. Angry Orange offers a 100% money back guarantee, so there is no reason to not try this best pet odor eliminator!
Angry Orange Pet Odor Eliminator does such a great job at removing odors that pets never go in the same spot twice! Dogs who frequently mark their territory discontinue to do so in the same spot thanks to this product. Customers point out that this is a concentrated solution and to be sure to follow the directions on diluting, as you will not need more than is in the directions.
Most reviewers love the smell, stating that it is not too overpowering, but nice, clean, and great for a fresh smelling house. Although most people enjoy the smell of this product, a select few say it is too strong and unpleasant. Some also claim the product does not work at all, saying you can smell oranges for a day or two and that, once that scent dissipates, the urine is back again.
What’s to Like about Angry Orange Pet Odor Eliminator
- Commercial grade
- Derived from the oil found in orange peels – safe and non-toxic
- Can be used indoors and outside
- Angry Orange offers a 100% money back guarantee if you’re not satisfied
What’s Not to Like
- A select few buyers say the odor of this product is unpleasant and too strong
- Some consumers claim this product does not work
Pet odor eliminator reviews from pet owners: “I am a city-dwelling dog owner, who lives on the second floor. We use a Porch Potty on our deck for our puppy, which has been a life saver for house-training…but, as we quickly discovered, where there is dog waste, there are…”
This best pet odor eliminator also eliminates stains, rather from urine, feces, vomit, or any other mess. It is enzyme activated to ensure a deep clean.
The natural enzymatic bacteria are activated on contact with odors and stains, and it feeds on the matter until it is completely eliminated. This product from Rocco & Roxie is gentle and safe, as it contains no chlorine or hazardous propellants, and it doesn’t leave behind any residue.
You can use this product on carpets, furniture, clothing, kennels, carriers and more! It is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, claiming it is Amazon’s best-seller for a reason. If you are unhappy with your purchase, the company will refund your money in full.
Anyone with a pet knows it is nearly impossible to find a product that will fully remove urine odor, especially in furniture and carpet. Customers back this product, claiming it is the only odor eliminator that truly works (and many say they have tried everything available). Rocco & Roxie Professional Strength Stain & Odor Eliminator can even get red wine stains out of carpet! Reviewers say it does not ruin carpet or make it stiff, but you still may want to spot test a small section to make sure!
What’s to Like about Powered Pet Odor & Stain Remover for Dog and Cat Urine – (1 gallon)
- Eliminates odors and stains
- Formulated with natural enzymatic bacteria that are activated on contact with odors and stains
- Contains no chlorine or hazardous propellants
What’s Not to Like
- Some consumers claim this best pet odor eliminator doesn’t work as well on set in stains
- A few buyers complained that the scent is too strong
If stains are old or set in, some customers say this product does not work as well (but most would argue it is still worth a try, as many have been able to remove these without a problem). The scent is too strong for a few reviewers, and some say the stain somehow came back after time.
This bio-enzymatic formula from Nature’s Miracle is said to eliminate odor, stains, and sticky residue from carpets, furniture, clothing, and more. It is guaranteed to permanently eliminate stains and odors, so it is definitely worth a try! The self-proclaimed urine destroyer also works to discourage re-soiling due to its dual-action, odor-control system that destroys odors on contact.
To use, simply wipe away any excess urine and soak the surface thoroughly with Nature’s Miracle. Wait five minutes, and wipe away. Customers attest to the fact that this best pet odor eliminator works on old, set in stains and fresh spots alike. It may take more than one application, but vigilance and patience are key.
Reviewers who had rented or purchased expensive steam cleaners wish they would have saved their money by purchasing Nature’s Miracle Urine Destroyer Stain and Residue Eliminator from the beginning, as it has cleaned what the others had left behind.
What’s to Like about Nature’s Miracle Urine Destroyer Stain and Residue Eliminator
- Guaranteed to permanently eliminate stains and odors
- Works to discourage re-soiling due to its dual-action, odor-control system
- Customers attest to the fact that it works on set in stains
What’s Not to Like
- A few buyers said this best pet odor eliminator made the stain smell even worse
Unhappy reviewers say that this product makes the urine stains smell worse than before, but this only happened with very few customers. As with any carpet spray, be sure to spot test a section of your carpet, as some pet owners have had a bad experience with discoloration.
How to Housetrain a Dog?
Now that you have picked the best pet odor eliminator to fight off that nasty urine smell your new puppy may leave as you continue to train him, you may want to look into effective techniques on how to housetrain your puppy.
In the below video and step by step guide, you can get some great tips and tricks for effective house training. Follow these to avoid any mistakes, which will hopefully ensure that you deal with a lot less urine smells and stains around your home left by your pup.
Pet Odor Eliminator Buyer’s Guide
There are things that you need to be aware of when buying odor eliminators and this includes its different features.
1) Function – Buy odor eliminators that can eliminate both stains and odors. Some can only get rid of stains while some can only remove odors.
2) Type of Spray – Buy a pet odor remover with a continuous power spray Remember not to purchase one with a trigger spray. Aerosol products that are equipped with a continuous spray allow you to reach a wider area. It also allows you to penetrate deeply into fine fibers.
3) Type of Product – Go for liquid types of odor eliminators. The foam type is not the best odor eliminator.
Foam may actually remove dirt and other materials off the fibers in your carpet. However, it cannot sufficiently remove odors because odors need a longer contact time with the cleaner before they can be removed. Thus, the liquid type is better when it comes to eliminating odors.
4) Ingredients – Go for cleaners without ammonia. Odor eliminators that contain ammonia will encourage your puppy to go back to the spot which he used as a toilet. This is because ammonia mimics the smell of urine.
Many ordinary household cleaners that contain ammonia may smell like urine itself. Thus, the best urine remover must not have the smell of ammonia.
5) Formulation – Buy odor eliminators that are labelled especially for pets. Some are not to be used for pets but just for home furnishings.
The best pet odor remover is especially formulated for the task. Take note too that these formulations should be for removing pet odors and for cleaning up stains at the same time.
6) Presence of Enzymes – Go for products that contain special enzymes. The best pet odor eliminator is the one that destroys the proteins that cause the odor.
The job of the enzyme is to break down the proteins that bring about the nasty smell. However, take note that a good pet urine eliminator actually cleans up the mess and not just removes the smell.
7) Crystals and Powders – As an option, you may go for products that mention absorbent powders and crystals in their description. This can soak up the wet area and can dry very quickly. You can then just vacuum it up.
8) High Quality – The best pet stain and odor remover is one that is labeled as an odor neutralizing product. Go for trusted brands like Angry Orange, Bubbas, Petzyme, Rocco & Roxie or Particular Paws.
The chemical component of these brands is very similar to the type of chemical that government organizations and industrial plants would use in order to eliminate odors from their waste treatment facilities and food processing plants.
9) Nature of the Chemical – The best pet stain remover is non-flammable and can be applied on almost any fabric surface like carpets and dog beddings. You can even use these products for waterproof surfaces like hardwood floors.
10) Versatility – Go for an odor eliminator that can handle not just pet stains but almost every kind of organic stains like blood, wine, dirt, and grass. Other stains that are not caused by pets and which some odor eliminators can remove include the smell of alcohol and the smell of food after a party.
Having an odor eliminator with you all the time is very important when you want to maintain the comfort and cleanliness of your home. Nonetheless, there are a few things that you need to remember when you are using an odor eliminator to remove pet stains and dirt. Here are some things you should bear in mind.
- Make room for the fumes from your odor eliminator by making sure that you open the windows as well as the exhaust fans when you are cleaning. Even if it is the best pet stain remover in the world, it will still be irritating to the eyes and nose. This is necessary especially if one of your family members is allergic to fumes or is suffering from respiratory problems.
- Be careful when applying odor eliminators because the color of the liquid might get stuck in the fabric. If you are not sure about whether the product will stain or not, ask an expert to assist you.
- If you are using a water-based odor eliminator, do not over-wet. Water that penetrates the back of the rug can ruin it.
- Take extra care to prevent staining by placing a small sheet of aluminum under the legs of the furniture that is in contact with the carpet that you have just cleaned. Leave the aluminum foil until the carpet has completely dried.
- Allow the cleaned area to be moist for at least 24 hours. After which, do not blot or wipe. Instead, place a damp towel over the area and allow it to dry naturally. Even if you are using the best product for dog urine, you might still have to repeat the treatment for heavily affected areas.
Buying an Odor Eliminator Online
- If you are purchasing an odor eliminator online, make sure that you are getting one from the recommended brands. If the brand that you have chosen is something else and it turns out to be of low quality, then you might have a problem getting it exchanged.
- Make sure that you are getting an odor eliminator that is good enough to fit your needs.
All the five brands of odor eliminators featured above are almost very similar in terms of characteristics. Most of them are enzyme-based and so they eliminate the source of the bad odor at the molecular level or from the source itself. This leaves a permanently clean surface.
All of the brands of odor eliminators can also be used on a variety of surfaces such as carpets, floors and litter boxes. However, the best odor eliminator is the Angry Orange Pet Odor Eliminator.
This is because it has a fresh orange smell that is guaranteed to last for many days while reviews about the other brands do not necessarily mention anything about the scent. Moreover, the Angry Orange Pet Odor Eliminator can be used with other odors not caused by pets such as the smell of food and alcohol that is left by guests in the house.